A bipartisan group appointed by New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham to study legalizing recreational marijuana is moving forward with two public policy meetings this month.
A second meeting is scheduled in Las Cruces on Aug. 28.
Here’s some background:
- Legalization advocates such as the Marijuana Policy Project view New Mexico as 1 of the far more promising states to legalize recreational marijuana in the subsequent couple of years.
- Grisham, a Democrat, has mentioned she supports adult-use legalization, as extended as public security is ensured.
- Legislation to authorize and tax recreational marijuana sales at state-run retailers passed the state Home this year, but stalled in the Senate.
- The governor’s committee of state leaders and regional regulators currently toured 5 healthcare cannabis dispensaries to find out far more about the business, according to KOAT, an Albuquerque Television station.
- New Mexico commission members also are slated to pay a visit to Colorado to meet with state regulators in that state.
– Connected Press and Marijuana Business enterprise Everyday