Smoking concentrated cannabis is on the rise, and many smokers love to use their wax using dab rigs. However, dab rigs are not the only tools that one can use to consume marijuana concentrates. While using a rig is really fun and efficient, there are many reasons why you should learn other ways of enjoying your waxes and oils.
It could be that you want a “more” convenient way of smoking dabs, especially if you love having a taste of your marijuana while on the go without attracting public eyes. Your dab rig could get damaged or you may be unable to buy a rig because of state laws. Whatever the case may be, it is worth the effort to learn more than one methods of smoking dabs.
This piece will teach you eight different ways you can use to smoke wax without using a dab rig. This includes the pros and cons of each method. But before then, what are concentrates and how are they different from herbs?
What is Wax?
A wax, marijuana concentrate, or dab is a highly potent form of cannabis that is consumed for medical or recreational purposes. Concentrates typically look like butter or honey. They come in different forms. Some of the favorite ones include wax, oil, shatter, budder, crumble , rosin, etc.
Important of a Dab Rig
While there is a need for learning alternatives ways of smoking wax, the benefits of using a dab rig are too great to be ignored.
It is efficient
Anyone who has ever used a dab rig would testify of the efficiency it offers. For instance, a carb cap allows you to enjoy your cannabis at lower temperatures, giving you a more efficient experience. This is because the carb cap is like a seal. It not only helps to restrict the air pressure but also helps to cool the vapors.
Vaping wax and oil at lower temperatures helps to extract the best flavor from your materials. As earlier stated, using a dab rig with a carb cap enables you to achieve this goal. You will never lose the taste of your wax, and this gives you an enjoyable dabbing experience.
Smoking a joint is way harsher than using a dab rig. In fact, there is little chance of experiencing harsh smoke with a rig unless you dab at extremely high temperature. As long as you stick to lower temperatures then you won’t be getting throat irritation, nor unnecessary coughs throughout the dab session.
How to Smoke without a Dab Rig
1. In a Bowl or Bong over Cannabis or CBD
This is practically the easiest method to smoke concentrates without a dab rig. Here you just load the bowl with your herbs as usual and then add your wax on top of the weed. Next is just to light up the weed as you would normally do and smoke away.
Not many people are familiar with it but there are also CBD hemp flower. The bud comes from the cannabis plant but contains primarily of CBD. Some have no THC while others have the minimum THC requirement for hemp. Using CBD flower is a good way to mix with your wax. This can be added a benefit since CBD can be a vital supplement for the body.
- It is stress-free and does not require any special skill. Just smoke as usual.
- You must combine herbs and concentrates. Having just one of both is useless
- It can be wasteful as you are unable to regulate how much concentrates to use neither does it extinguishes itself once you light it up.
- This method alters the flavor of your wax. You wanted to do some dabs, but you will be doing both herbs and concentrates.
- It is a great idea to freeze your wax for about 10 minutes before use, especially if the concentrate is sticky or has melted. This will help solidify it so you can easily place it on top of your bowl.
- Try not to take the lighter too close to the bowl as this could quickly melt your dabs. The idea is to let the wax melt into the weed slowly.
2. Roll it Up
This is another method to smoke your dabs without a rig. You will need some of your favorite herbs, concentrates, and rolling papers.
You just need to spread the weed on the rolling paper as usual and add the wax in the middle, ensuring that it doesn’t get too close to edges of the paper. Nicely roll up your joint and light it up, though you may find the rolling a bit difficult because of the sticky nature of the wax.
- Easy to use if you already know how to roll joints and blunts.
- This isn’t an efficient way of smoking wax. The joint will burn weirdly and you will lose quality smoke.
- You won’t get the real taste of your concentrates.
- Rolling kief makes things less messy.
- Use a roach.
3. Dab Pen
My love for dab pens knows no bound because they are the most convenient and discreet way for enjoying wax without a rig, especially for vapers who loves staying under the radar while on the go.
Dab pens have become very popular today, and they are quite affordable. There are sold both online and offline and even in states where smoking is illegal. Although vape pens are more expensive than your regular rolling papers, they offer great benefits compared to smoking joints and blunts.
Vaporizers are straightforward to use because they are electronic devices that do not require special knowledge. You just need to know how to power it on/off and how to select a preferred temperature or voltage.
How to Use It
To begin, turn on your dab pen. Usually it is 5 quick clicks and you will see a light flash. Open your mouthpiece or chamber to expose the coil. Take your dab tool, scoop up some wax and place it right on the coil.
Close the mouthpiece and press the power button. The coil will start to heat up and your wax will melt, turning into vapor.
- It is efficient and convenient to use
- It is budget friendly
- Offer discreetness, meaning you can use it in states where cannabis is illegal.
- Make sure you take out some time to read online reviews about some quality and long lasting vape pens before buying one, especially if you are planning to vape regularly.
Another effective way of vaporizing dabs without a rig is using a healthstone. But what the hell are healthstones?
A healthstone or a lazy man’s dab rig (as it is commonly called) is a ceramic product designed by an multiples companies. Healthstones are compatible with bongs, bowls, and pipes. They do not release harmful chemicals when heated, thanks to their 100% inert build materials.
It is quite easy to use. Just insert the healthstone to your bowl and scoop in some concentrates on top of the healthstone. Use a hand torch to heat until it combusts. Then take a draw from the mouthpiece.
- It is easy and very efficient
- You can use healthstones to smoke concentrates with friends
- You could hurt yourself if you’re not careful enough. Do not touch the stone or bowl after heating it up.
- Don’t use the torch directly on the healthstone. The flame should be about 2” from the wax.
- Not all bowls and pipes are compatible with healthstones. Don’t try to force the stone into your piece.
5. Eating it
Sound strange? Well, eating your concentrates won’t kill you, but will get you really high. But wait, don’t start eating until you decarboxylate your wax. Why? In order for your body to be able to digest the wax, you first need to convert the THCa in the concentrate to THC. It is important you figure that out before you eat your wax. I recommend that you watch some videos on youtube.
- No smoke
- The materials needed are easy to get
- You might get extremely stoned if you’re not careful
- You may not like the taste, especially if it’s your first time.
- The experience is not the same as actually smoking dabs. Edibles metabolize different than smoking it.
- Put the decarboxylated concentrate into pill capsules to avoid the weird taste in your mouth. Or you could try making some wax edibles.
6. Hot Knives (Not Recommended)
While hot knives or knife hits are very easy to use and effective for smoking wax, it makes one feel like a desperate weed junkie. You only need two butter knives, your concentrates, an empty plastic bottle (cut off the bottom) and a heat source (a torch or stove).
Now to use this method, make sure the plastic bottle (with no bottom) is readily available by your side. Heat the two knives to make them very hot, drop some wax on them, and press them together. This action will vaporize the concentrate, then use the plastic bottle as a funnel to trap the vapors and inhale.
- It is one of the easiest ways to smoke wax without a dab rig. You can do this in any kitchen.
- Doing this alone or for the first time can be quite difficult
- I do not recommend this method. It makes you look like an addict.
- Using knife hits is a lot easier when it involves two people. So call your buddy to join you in the fun.
7. Car Lighter (not Recommended)
This is not recommended. However, if you are truly in need and you can’t use any of the other listed alternative ways of smoking wax without a dab rig, then go on and try this method. All you need is a car lighter, a car, and a plastic bottle with the bottom cut open.
You need to heat up the car lighter until it becomes super hot, then hold the bottle just halfway above the lighter (make sure there is no direct contact). Now scoop in some concentrates onto the red coil. Inhale the vapors through the bottle just like the hot knives method.
- You will end up having a gross sticky lighter
- It is cumbersome. You have to battle with holding the coil, the bottle, and putting dabs onto the coils.
- It is dangerous as you risk hurting yourself with the lighter
8. Aluminum Foil (Not Recommended)
I also do not recommend using aluminum foil to smoke concentrates, even though can actually vaporize your wax and get you high. Just like the hot knives and the car lighter ways of dabbing without a rig, this method will make you feel like a sick weed junky.
- Can get you pretty stoned
So there you have it – eight simple ways to smoke wax without a dab rig. While these methods are effective and can get you high, you must consider your safety before using any of them. Try as much as possible to avoid using hot knives, a car lighter, or aluminum foil.
What is your favorite way of smoking wax without a rig?